Friday, July 25, 2008

A Different Reflection

You know, I have often written about the traditions that were carried on when I am younger and this is going to be no different. Some families cannot get everything that they want, such as those huge houses or million dollar cars. That is probably most of us. We cannot get everything that we want in life. If we did we would not know what life was really about. Life is about struggling at certain points and getting through these points. We surround ourselves with others that will, hopefully, help through the struggles along with being there through the happy things in life. However, I want to focus on my family again. My grandma on my mom's side died about 6 and a half years ago now. It was interesting how we would always go over to my grandparents' house for bread after Sunday church. My grandma would always make bread from scratch for this purpose and I always thought that this was such a great thing, such a treat. Yes, we had it every Sunday, but it was still a treat to have homemade bread. I have begun to make my own bread also and I view it as such a treat. The ingredients cost no more than $1.50 or $2 to make that bread, but it is still something special. I have never been one to cherish the huge things in life, but rather the small things. In those loafs of bread my grandma showed her caring nature and her love for all of us. It takes a few hours to make that bread, but it was always waiting for us on Sunday, meaning that she had enough foresight to realize what had to be done. Most families do not meet together like this every week. My family cannot really do this anymore since I am in California, my brother is in New Mexico and my sister is in Florida. However, we can show our love in little things that we do. Yeah, we all do not have the time to bake bread for those we care about, but there are other things that we can do in life for those around us. After my grandma died we still went over to the house for bread after church for a little while, but it soon got to be too hard for all of us to even go to the same church, so we rarely met for bread anymore. Why do I really even say this at all? Well, it is because as I reflect on what used to be I realize what will be in the future and what great LITTLE things I can do to leave memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home