Sunday, May 31, 2009

I Read a Book

Today I finished reading the book Each for the Other by Bryan Chapell and I have to admit that it was an awesome book even though I have no girl in mind, so it was a little different. I learned a lot and even have new material to present when people challenge Christianity's treatment of women. An important thing for me to keep in mind is that when a wife is called to submit to her husband she is submitting to him as an example of her love for God. She is not submitting to the abuse that will take place in the relationship, which is something to consider. A lot of people think that Christianity belittles women by making them lower than their husbands, but it is very important to realize that man needed a helpmate so God created woman out of the rib of man. With the understanding that woman is a helpmate it is important that the husband does not belittle his wife. Women are supposed to be seen as an important part of the home, not just the one that cares for the kids while the husband is away. While women do usually have a better instinct for taking care of the kids this task falls just as much on the husband. I do not like to think that my father belittles my mother or discourages her from doing things freely. The husband can abuse his wife just as much by not letting her do things as he can by allowing her to do anything she wants. This goes the same with the husband, though, keeping in mind the ultimate purpose of a marriage, and that is to bring focus to God.
A few days ago someone told me that they value their other half as a parent, but have discouraged them from going on to get more education. I do not actually think that this fits with a Christian understanding of marriage. If someone is being looked at just for their parental abilities you are denying that person their true identity as a person of God. Perhaps I am wrong about this, but it just seems to me that allowing your spouse to be seen as more than just a parent will help them to discover their true identity as a Christian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home