Monday, January 29, 2007

There is a Step Missing

So last night I was watching this show on PBS. It was midnight and I should know that nothing good comes on after midnight. It was the series "In The Life." Well, I watched it and only saw part of it and there was a UMC pastor on there. I think she probably claimed herself as a victim, although I didn't see all of this story. What I didn't learn until a few minutes ago was that this show is put out by the LGBT community. This woman from the pulpit said "I am in a covenant relationship with another woman." Later on in the show she said "If someone asks me while I am being examined if I am a lesbian I would have said "yes." It turns out that that question was never raised when she was examined, but I would think that there has to be something in church bylaws against such a thing. Sure, I have not studied their church order, but isn't that something that has to be disclosed? The CRC says that you cannot be a practicing homosexual and hold church office. Maybe the UMC is not as clear on this? However, she did get removed from the pulpit because she was a practicing lesbian. It is just interesting what the "church" has become. I tend to think of ministry as a high calling and there are people in this high calling who defy even the denomination that they are a part of? Maybe I am making too much of this situation and possibly someone will say that any problem in any church that causes the pastor to leave or get deposed is equivalent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home