Sunday, January 14, 2007

Some Reflection

You know, it is yet again a sad day. I realize just how precious life really is. I have told the story a few times about Tony and once I mentioned the couple that I went to visit this past summer. I spent a lot of time with both of these sets of people and now comes the news that the husband has died, leaving his wife to deal by herself. She is a very strong lady. I have said a few times before that she only cared how you felt and that would cheer her up. If you were doing fine then she was doing fine also. She had to care for her husband these last few years. Before my internship this summer I wondered if they still existed. I would see her in church every once in a while, but not on a regular basis. When I went to visit this past summer I found out why. It was because she cared about her husband so much and in his last years he had become not only disoriented but he fell often. She was always so afraid that he would fall and she would not be able to pick him back up. The only thing that I can think is "wow." She was a woman who could not weigh more than 120 pounds and she would pick her husband up off the ground and he had to be about 6'4". What a strong woman! But, what makes her even stronger is her faith in the Lord. Sure she could not make it to church every week because she cared about her husband, but she still recognized what God meant. She is a very strong Christian and I know that she realizes that her husband is in a much better place now. It is amazing what people like this can do to you. I am strong because I know that she is holding strong. She had to care for him for these last few years. She will be more lonely now, but she will also be able to go back to church, something that I know will strengthen her. She cares so much when so many others care very little. She realizes the precious gift that God has given to everyone who believes. Her faith is strong, if only all of us had that strong of faith. Her husband is now gone, but his memory stays with us. He was hospitable to me and he too was a guy who cared. When I visited them this summer he would talk of how he knew my grandfather. His mind was not all there, but the memories that he had were great memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home