Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Q and A 80

Okay, the issue of the day is about Q and A #80 of the Heidelberg Catechism. Some will know what I am talking about others will just need these simple words said: RC mass. Anyways, I was looking at the CRC Synod Agenda for 2006 and there were a ton of churches that either wanted this question changed or it to be taken out completely from the catechism. That makes me really scratch my head. If you are going to change the language of the answer or take it out of the catechism altogether why don't they just stop using the Heidelberg Catechism? Of course, it has been argued that the CRC isn't confessional anyways, so then that really would not make any difference. But, I am confessional and I know a few others who are confessional and we find no problem with Q and A #80. Is this Q & A not true? Is the CRC trying to be liked by many other denominations so they figure that they can not differentiate themselves from other churches? I will add in that my home church did write in protest of this and they say that there is no problem with the phrasing of the question and answer.

I am starting to wonder if I should continue to read the Synod agenda because it seems like it is causing me undue stress. What brings about that statement you ask? There are churches that want to have what turns out to be paedocommunion. That is kind of frustrating to me, but I guess other denominations have faced this problem in the past. I guess no matter what denomination I would serve in there would be problems, but it just seems to me like these are logical issues that should not even be thought about. But, I guess these people that are making these suggestions because they truly believe what they are saying. Is any denomination perfect? Not at all. Denominations are earthly inventions. We can expect no more.

Okay, there is an overture to get the NLT as an officially recognized pew Bible. I just love this quote "Churches in all major denominations have purchased the NLT pew Bibles since its publication in 1996." This is according to the director of marketing for Tyndale, which is the publisher of the NLT. Well, wouldn't the company that is trying to get you to buy a book say that? But, anyways, what is up with just trying to fit in with everyone else? I think maybe we will see a "protestant" pope by 2050, going along with the guy who has correctly decided the name of every pope since 1977. But, of course, that is not really that many popes. Okay, I don't feel like getting into that right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home